The global law firm Jones Day announced that 11 recent U.S. Supreme Court clerks have agreed to join its Issues & Appeals Practice as associates. The incoming lawyers will be based out of seven Jones Day offices throughout the country.
The group of new associates includes individuals who clerked for seven different Supreme Court Justices during October Term 2017. Since October Term 2011, 47 Supreme Court clerks have now joined Jones Day directly following their clerkships.
"Our clients will benefit greatly from the legal skills of these highly talented lawyers, and we are deeply gratified they have decided to bring their insights and experience to Jones Day," said Beth Heifetz, leader of Jones Day's Issues & Appeals Practice. "Having pioneered the idea of building a national practice outside the Beltway, we are proud to be a destination for lawyers who want to work on important, cutting-edge legal issues from the earliest stages of trial and on appeal. We look forward to their arrival."
The new arrivals, their office locations, the Justices for whom they clerked, and their law schools are as follows:
- Cynthia Barmore (Washington Office) – Clerked for Justice Stephen G. Breyer; graduated from Stanford Law School
- Elizabeth G. Bentley (Minneapolis Office) – Clerked for Justice Sonia Sotomayor; graduated from Harvard Law School
- Carlton Forbes (Washington Office) – Clerked for Justice Stephen G. Breyer; graduated from Yale Law School
- David R. Fox (Boston Office) – Clerked for Justice Stephen G. Breyer; graduated from George Washington University Law School
- Donald L. R. Goodson (New York Office) – Clerked for Justices Anthony M. Kennedy and John Paul Stevens (Ret.); graduated from New York University School of Law
- Carmen G. Iguina Gonzalez (Washington Office) – Clerked for Justice Sonia Sotomayor; graduated from New York University School of Law
- Brittney Lane Kubisch (Los Angeles Office) – Clerked for Justice Clarence Thomas; graduated from Pepperdine University School of Law
- Stephen J. Petrany (Washington Office) – Clerked for Justice Samuel A. Alito; graduated from Yale Law School
- James R. Saywell (Cleveland Office) – Clerked for Justice Samuel A. Alito; graduated from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law
- Mary H. Schnoor (Chicago Office) – Clerked for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg; graduated from Harvard Law School
- Eric Tung (Los Angeles Office) – Clerked for Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, and, previously, Justice Antonin Scalia; graduated from University of Chicago Law School
Jones Day is a global law firm with more than 2,500 lawyers in 43 offices across five continents. The Firm is distinguished by: a singular tradition of client service; the mutual commitment to, and the seamless collaboration of, a true partnership; formidable legal talent across multiple disciplines and jurisdictions; and shared professional values that focus on client needs.
U.S. Supreme Court clerks joining Jones Day in 2018 (from October Term 2017): From left to right: Stephen J. Petrany, Donald L. R. Goodson, David R. Fox, Cynthia Barmore, Mary H. Schnoor, Carlton Forbes, Elizabeth G. Bentley, Carmen G. Iguina Gonzalez, Eric Tung, James R. Saywell.
Brittney Lane Kubisch
View a short video.